Businesses in Foxborough, Massachusetts, are eagerly awaiting this summer’s World Cup action and the influx of fans usually reserved for football season.
“Our regulars slow down and we get a lot of fans coming in, fans of the Pats and opposing teams,” said Spiro Kouvlis, owner of Scram Kitchen & Coffee
“We do stuff for the football games up there,” said Mark Duffy with Judy’s Village Flowers, “They’ve been a blessing to us for many years. We’re grateful to be partners.”
But before the games can take place at Gillette Stadium, details need to be ironed out with the town itself, specifically when it comes to security and who will pay for it.
The Select Board has been reviewing that issue for weeks and will do so again on Tuesday night with an entertainment license hanging in the balance.
Foxborough is demanding $7.8 million in upfront security funding, warning it won’t approve an entertainment license until the money comes through.
“This is a national, international event and it’s not up to the town of Foxborough to support or pay for any of this,” said Select Board Chairman Bill Yukna at the February 3 meeting.
Last week, organizers told NBC10 Boston that they’re confident the situation will be figured out.
“A lot of it gets done in the last 20% of the timeline,” said Mike Loynd with Boston 2026. “I’m comfortable we have the right people in place.”
As the back-and-forth plays out, businesses are watching closely.
“I think they have no choice but to grant them the license but it’s up to them,” said Kouvlis.
“I think they’re just being cautious to protect the town,” said Duffy.
The first World Cup match is scheduled for Saturday, June 13 between Haiti and Scotland. Gillette Stadium will be known as Boston Stadium during the event.

